AU Archives and Special Collections is pleased to announce the acquisition of the Bannockburn Cooperators, Inc. (BCI) Archive. The BCI Archive (1944-2006, bulk 1946-1959) consists of membership files, house plans and construction documents, financial records, stock certificates, and minutes from board and membership meetings. A small exhibit featuring photographs of the construction of the first Bannockburn houses will be on display through mid-August 2014 on the third floor of Bender Library.
A Brief History of Bannockburn
The Group Housing Cooperative (GHC) was organized in 1944 in Washington, D.C. It developed a concept for a planned community which included single family homes, apartments, a neighborhood shopping center, recreational facilities, a club house, an elementary school, and park land.
At an auction in April 1946, GHC bought the 124 acre Bannockburn Golf Club for $193,000 to serve as the site for this community. GHC selected a team of architects, Burket, Neufeld and DeMars, to develop site plans and see the project through completion.
GHC transferred the property in August 1946 to BCI which it incorporated to manage the project. BCI’s membership originally consisted of GHC members who elected to live in the community but was open to new residents as well.
The first 24 houses were constructed in 1949 and 1950 at Wilson Lane and Braeburn Place and included a variety of house types. BCI was unable to get permission to rezone the property so much of the original plan was tabled. The final Bannockburn house was completed by late 1960.