For over fifty years, the AU Women’s Club hosted events ranging from welcome teas for foreign students to fundraisers. Founded in 1930 as the Faculty Woman’s Club, it offered an annual award to a woman student who made an outstanding contribution to life of university. The student’s name was engraved on friendship tray.
The AU Women’s Club membership included faculty and staff and wives of faculty and staff. Starting in 1972, they began awarding a scholarship for a woman student. By the 1980s, they were offering two awards for juniors to use in their senior year.
To learn more about women on campus, visit our exhibit, All About Women: 90 Years of AU History 1893-1983, on display on the first floor of the library.