From its beginnings in the 1890s, inclusiveness and diversity have been hallmarks of American University. American University has always been coeducational. In 1949, AU merged with the Washington College of Law which was founded by two women with the express purpose of offering law courses for women. A new exhibit on the first floor of Bender Library uses brochures, newsletters, photographs, and programs to illustrate the activities of and numerous contributions to campus women have made over its first ninety years. The exhibit will be on display through the end of the spring semester.