Starting in the mid-1930s, female students living on campus participated in an annual candlelight ceremony featuring yule logs and a Christmas tree. The event began with a parade of students holding candles walking down the steps in Mary Graydon Hall. Starting in 1959, the women marched into the Clendenen gymnasium singing Christmas carols while holding candles.
Each December, the Women’s House Council held a secret ballot for “Best Loved Girl” and “Most Representative Girl” from each class. The winners were announced at the candlelight ceremony. Controversy over mandatory attendance and other issues led to moving the awards ceremony to the spring. The last “Best Loved Girl” was elected in 1966.